Places Around Hyderabad




Hyderabad has a host of interesting places not too far from the city. All are well connected by road and rail and visitors can contact the AP Tourism Development Corporation to enquire about their excellent tours.

For more details, reservations, and tours & accommodations, please contact on below address & numbers

Andhra Pradesh Tourism Corporate Office
Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation
Tourism House, Himayatnagar,
Hyderabad - 500 063.
Andhra Pradesh, India
Phone: +91-40-23262151, +91-40-23262152, +91-40-23262153, +91-40-23262154, +91-40-23262457
Fax: +91-40-23261801

Warangal

Once the heartland of Telugu culture, this town which lies roughly 160km northeast of Hyderabad was the capital of the Kakatiya rulers. The three main sights are the Ramappa Temple, the Thousand-Pillar Temple and the Warangal Fort.

Constructed in 1234 AD, the Ramappa temple is built entirely of granite and has ornate carvings depicting scenes from the Ramayana and the Mahabharata on its ceiling, pillars and walls.

The Thousand-Pillar Temple was built by King Ganapati in 1164 AD. Like all Chalukyan temples it is star-shaped and has three shrines dedicated to Shiva, Vishnu and Surya. The shrines have no figures of deities and the pedestals inside have black basalt lingams. The perforated ornamental stone screens on the doors of the shrine, however, contain the figures of the three gods. Outside, in front of the temple is an awe-inspiring black basalt sculpture of Nandi, the sacred bull.

The Warangal Fort was initiated by King Ganapathi in 1199 AD and completed by his daughter Rabi Rudramma Devi in 1261 AD.

The fort has two walls – the inner one is made of stone and the outer of mud. The gateways facing the four cardinal points are strikingly similar to the famous gateways of Sanchi. Other interesting structures inside the fort include small temples, store houses and durbar halls.

Alampur

Alampur is located about 180 km from Hyderabad on the way to Kurnool, lying on the banks of the River Tungabhadra in Mehboob Nagar District. It is a full of antiquities dating back to the Chalukyan period. One of the finest examples of Chalukyan architectures is the nine-temple complex enclosed in a single courtyard called Nava Brahma. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, these nine temples are named Taraka Brahma, Swarga Brahma, Padma Brahma, Bala Brahma, Gardua Brahma, Kumara Brahma, Arka Brahma, Vira Brahma and Vishwa Brahma. Alampur is a must for tourists interested in archaeology and architecture.

Medak Church

Medak lies about 80 km northwest of Hyderabad and has one of the largest Bishopric churches of India. This beautiful Gothic Cathedral, the gift of the Nizam of Hyderabad to the Christian subjects of this state, had its foundation laid in 1914 and was consecrated in 1924. The church is 61 meters high and can accommodate 5,000 people at a time. The belfry is 53-54 meters high. The three windows in the church, telling stories from the Bible, are exquisite and believed to be the largest stained glass windows in India.

Nagarjuna Sagar Dam & Nagarjunakonda

Nagarjuna Sagar, situated on the Krishna river, 160 km southwest of Hyderabad is the tallest masonry dam in the world. It is also the third largest man-made lake in the world. Nagarjuna Sagar is a multi-purpose project for the economic development of the area and is said to irrigate more than two million hectares of land and generate over 4,60,000 kw of power. The project was named for the famous Buddhist scholar, Acharya Nagarjuna, who lived in the 2nd century AD at this site. The foundation for the dam was laid by the late Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on 10 December 1955.

The excavation work at Nagarjuna Kunda was started in 1926 and its find are well preserved in the island museum. The spot, where the ancient and the modern world coexist, attracts a large number of tourists.

Bidar

The walled city of Bidar is 120 km northwest of Hyderabad in the neighbouring state of Karnataka. This city was once part of the dominions of Hyderabad. The Bahmani kings moved their capital from Gulbarga to Bidar in 1429 AD and after their downfall; it remained the capital of the Bareed Shahi kings until the end of the 16th century. The old and the new fort built with red sandstone, and the ruins of the beautiful palaces, which were once the envy of the rest of India, are a big draw among tourists.

The new fort was constructed in the 14th century and within it are situated the two palaces known as Rangeen Mahal and Chini Mahal. Some other interesting monuments are the Madrasa (school) built by Mahmood Gawan. Koranic verses are inscribed on the blue and white glazed tiles on the façade.

Adjacent to Bidar town in the village of Ashtur are the tombs of twelve Bahmani kings. Bidar is thus full of numerous historical monuments which include rare masterpieces of architecture, palaces, temples, mosques and tombs. Considerable repairs and conservation of the monuments was carried out by Nizam VII’s government under the supervision of Dr. Yazdani.

Bidar is also the center of a special craft called Bidri (ornamental inlay work of tin, copper, lead and zinc used to decorate metal objects) which dates back to Bahmani times. You will find a vast array of Bidri ware including vases, ashtrays, boxes, goblets, plates and even jewellery such as bangles and bracelets.

Bidar can be reached by bus and by train and there are many comfortable and reasonably-priced hotels for the overnight traveler.

Bhadrachalam Temple

The Sree Seetharamachandra Swamy shrine at Bhadrachalam is situated on the banks of the Godavari river where it rushes through a deep gorge in the middle of dense forests. 320 km east of Hyderabad in the Khammam district. Legend has it that it is built at the spot where Lord Rama set up his abode when he spent a part of his 14-year exile here, accompanied by his wife Sita and brother Lakshman. It is an important place of pilgrimage and its bathing ghats are similar to those found in Varanasi. The temple is thought to have been built in the 17th century.

The temple in Bhadrachalam is closely entwined with the life of the saint-compose Ramadasa (servant of Lord Rama) whose original name was Gopanna. Gopanna was the Tehsildar of Bhadrachalam in the second half of the 17th century and was said to have used his position to take money from the government treasury to build this temple. He was imprisoned in a dungeon at Golconda, but according to legend; Lord Rama miraculously gave Sultan Tana Shah the money spent by Gopanna, after which he was released from Prison. Gopanna then became Ramadasa, and went on to compose several Telugu songs extolling the virtues of Lord Rama. Sultan Tana Shah then endowed three villages as a grant for the upkeep of the temple.

The temple is open from 5.30am to noon and from 4.00pm to 8.30pm. Bhadrachalam can be easily approached by a fairly motorable highway and by a host of buses operated by APSRTC. Guest cottages maintained by the APTDC are available.

Kolanpak Temple

Located 60 km on the way to Warangal is the fabled 1800-year-old Kolanpak Temple. Considered very sacred by the Jain community, it is a place of serene beauty. The interior is adorned with marble mosaic floors and fluted columns. The principal image is over four feet in size and is carved entirely out of semi-precious stones like jade that were excavated at the same location. Images of many Jain tirthankaras carved out of black polished granite are installed within the temple. Close to the temple is the Kolanupaka Museum established by the State Department of Archaeology and Museums and is worth a visit.

Gulbarga

Situated about 200 km south-west of Hyderabad in Karnataka, this historic city was ruled by the Bahmani kings during the 14th and 15th centuries. The town is rich in historical monuments of which the great fort with 15 towers is outstanding. To the southern entrance of the fort is a group of royal tombs. A large mosque called the Jama Masjid, a copy of the Cordoba mosque in Spain, and the only one of its kind in India, is situated within its walls.

Built in the Indo-Saracenic style, the Gulbarga Dargah is located at the tomb of Hazrat Khwaja Bande Nawaz Gesu Daraz, the great Muslim saint of the 15th century. The annual Urs held at the tomb to commemorate his death anniversary is an important festival of Gulbarga. Thousands of pilgrims visit Gulbarga during this festival. The Dargah Library houses almost 10,000 books in Urdu, Persian and Arabic.

Gulbarga is an important place of pilgrimage for Hindus as well. Many people flock here to visit the Sharana Basaveshwara Temple.

Gulbarga is well connected to Hyderabad by road and rail. The town has an ample supply of reasonable hotels for those who might wish to stay overnight.


Like This Page?



Source: Inside Hyderabad
Go to Top of Places Around Hyderabad page

Return from Places Around Hyderabad to Hyderabad, India home page