History of Hyderabad Locality Names
The street names of Hyderabad. In other words names of the legends behind these area names, not only make a fascinating reading, but also reflect the 400 years old glory of its culture, history and heritage. Each of these street names reveal an interesting account not known to many. These streets talk about their ancestors and their contribution to the betterment of the city and the society. Every name has a history of its own.
Hyderabad, the present name of our city was once called as Bhagnagar which stands for "City of Gardens". There appears to have been a number of gardens in and around the city of Hyderabad, such as Bashir Bagh, Amin Bagh, Bir Ban Bagh, Hardikar Bagh, Bagh Lingampally and Jam Bagh etc.
Theories explaining the origins and etymology behind Hyderabad's name differ. A popular theory suggests that after founding the city, Quli Qutb Shah fell in love with and married a local Banjara girl known as Bhagmathi naming the city, Bhagyanagaram. Upon her conversion to Islam, she changed her name to Hyder Mahal and thus the city was named Hyderabad (literally, "the city of Hyder").
The sleepy village on the city outskirts is actually named after Shams-ul-Umra, the title conferred by the Nizam on Paigah nobles. In Arabic Shams means sun and the title denoted the importance Nizam attached to the Paigahs. As happened with other locality names, Shamsabad too got corrupted and over the years came to be called Shamshabad.
Named after Sikander jha (1806) (III Nizam). The Village where British troops were stationed.
Charminar synonymous of Hyderabad, is the edifice of the four minarets. The awesome rectangular structure built upon four grand arches by Muhammed Quli Qutb Shah in1590-91 is the legendary masterpiece in the city. Because of this historical monument Char (means four) minar (means minaret) the area around it gets its name from this great landmark.
Raza Ali Khan, was the Dewan of Nizam's State in 1670 AD. His Title was 'Nekh Nam Khan' A jagir was granted to him, which came to be called nekh-Nampally. This became 'Nampally'.
Basheerunnissa Begum, daughter of Nizam II was married to a Paigah noble. She received lands in dowry. The village came to be known as Begumpet.
The jagir granted to Khairunnisa Begum daughter of Ibrahim Qutub Shah, came to be known as Khairatabad.
Land gifted by Humda Begum ( the wife of Nizam Ali Khan Nizamul Mulk) to the merchants of Hyderabad for trade and commerce, finally developed as Begum Bazar.
After 1933, the Residency bazar was renamed Sultan Bazar, when these areas were returned to the Nizam, by the British (Residency).
The V Nizam (Afzalud Dawlah) gifted land to the grain merchants for trade and commerce. The place was named Afzal Gunj.
Ma Saheba Ka Talab
Hayat Bakshi Begum, wife of Quli Qutub Shah VI - was called Ma Saheba. The tank constructed by her to irrigate lands of Mallepally village, was called Masaheba ka Talab. Finally it was called Masab Tank.
Kadve Saheb Ki Galli (lane)
After a person, who was always angry-faced and talked ill of others. This lane is in the old city.
New locality named after Himayat Ali Khan - Azam Jha - eldest son of VII Nizam - Osman Ali Khan ( in 1933). His name was Himayat Ali Khan.
New locality named after Hyder Ali, who was 1st Talukhdar (District Collector) and owned lands in the village formerly the Jagir of Vaheed Unnisa Begum, wife of Nizam. The locality is called after him, as Hyderguda.
The garden of Sir Asman Jha, Basirud-dulah - a Paigah Noble, who had a palace at the Garden.
A revenue department employee, named Sonaji, who owned lands and resided in this village. Sonaji became Somaji and the hamlet came to be called 'Somajiguda'. (Guda is from Godem a hamlet).
Named after Malik Yakoob, a servant of Abdulah Qutub Shah Golconda King where he resided had a market, hence the name Malakpet.
A Jagir village of Sayed Meer Momin, Dewan of Golconda (1591).
A Valet and steward of Nizam (VI) Mahboob Ali Khan. This man had his first shop here.
Named after Sarwari Afzal Bai, mistress of Arasthu Jha. Dewan of Hyderabad, who granted a Jagir,and constructed a palace and Garden for her.
The village named after Abdul Samad with the titles; Dabir-ul Mulk, a noble man.
Noor Khan Bazar
A market developed by Noor Khan, who came from Lucknow, during the time of the II Nizam.
A locality to the West of Lakdi-ka-pul. The barracks of Abyssinian Cavalry Guards of Raja of Wanaparthy - (1910) (Abyssinia is the old name of Ethiopia, an East African country).
Note: If you have similar history of other names of Hyderabad Street then please send me the information by clicking on "Contact Me" page.
Go to Top of Hyderabad Street Names page
Return from Hyderabad Locality Names to Hyderabad, India home page